Global 3 HW
Class Review Activity
Global 4 HW
SPRING TERM 1-30-2018
1) Clean in it OR Get a new one.
2) See Syllabus for Interactive Notebook Instructions. I have cut and paste the step that most students are skipping.
Step 2- Students must set-up notebook as follows:
3) To start the notebook:
A) Create a New Table of Contents
B) Carry over the following notes/ resources from January.
* Entry 1: Hitler and Mussolini Chart
* Entry 2: Class notes from January 12, 2018 which includes the resource on Appeasement.
* Entry 3: Video notes (half yellow sheet) from January 17 & 18, 2018 - this may include additional notes taken on the 18th and 19th.
HISTORY V HOLLYWOOD ASSIGNED on 1-19-2018
DUE DATE: 2-8-2018
1) Each student has chosen or been assigned a movie to watch that is based on a true story related to WW2 or the Holocaust . If you have not, please email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Research the historical context, content, and events of the movie. In class, I recommended you do some research before viewing the movie to have an idea of what is based on "true" and what scenes to watch out for.
You must research 3 reliable sources. DO NOT hand in an assignment that is all movie plot!
3) The assignment must be typed 12 font Times New Roman with 1 inch margins double spaced. On the COVER PAGE - type a full heading.
4) Worked -cited page/ bibliography MLA format 3 resources. You may google MLA format or easybib if you need help with this.
5) Attach assignment and rubric as last page. The file will be located below this & uploaded on 1-23-2018 by 3pm. SORRY, BROKEN DOWN MACHINES!!! 1-25-2018 11:10AM uploaded file :)
There will be a deduction for everyday the assignment is late.
STAPLE IT AT HOME!!!!!!!!!
HW # 1 Hitler's Lightening War
Read pp. 925-930.
1.Create a timeline of important events that occurred. MAKE IT GOOD
2. Why did war break out in Europe in 1939? EXPLAIN
HW# 2 Japan's Pacific Campaign
Read pp 931-935. Answer questions # 2, 3, 5, on p. 935.
HW # 3 The Holocaust -
Read pp. 936-939. Answer questions # 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 on p. 939.
HW # 4 The Allied Victory
Read pp. 940-947. Answer questions # 1, 2, 3, on p. 947.
HW# 2 The Scientific Revolution
Due on 9-19-2017
Read pp. 623-628.
1. Terms & Names & Define: write a sentence explaining its significance.
geocentric theory; Scientific Revolution; heliocentric theory; Galileo Galilei; scientific method.
2. Why did most people believe the geocentric theory? (3-5 sentence)
3. How did previous historical periods like the Renaissance and Reformation set the stage for the Scientific Revolution? (2-4 sentences)
4. Why do you think historians use the word revolution to describe the "Scientific Revolution?" (3-5 sentences)
5. Explain how each scholar Copernicus, Kepler, and Galileo, contributed to the heliocentric theory.
6. How did Descartes's approach to science differ from Bacon's?
7. How did the Scientific Revolution lead to advances in the different fields of science?
HW#3 Age of Enlightenment
Due on 9-25-17
Read pp. 629-634.
1. Terms & Names & Define: write a sentence explaining its significance. Enlightenment; social contract; philosophe
2. According to Hobbes, why would people want to live under the rule of an absolute monarch?
3. How does Locke's view of human nature differ from that of Hobbes?
4. Describe the five concepts of the philosophes.
5. How did Voltaire combat intolerance?
6. What advantages did Montesquieu see in the separation of powers?
7. What kind of government did Rousseau believe in? How was he similar to Locke?
8. How were women treated during the Age of Enlightenment?
9. Describe the long term effects that the Enlightenment had on Western civilization.
HW # 4 The Enlightenment Spreads
Due on 9-26-2017
Read pp. 636-639.
1. Terms, Names & Define: salon; Diderot's Encuclopedia; enlightened despot
2. How did Enlightenment ideas spread?
3. Describe how the arts were influenced (changed) by the Age of Enlightenment.
4. Why did enlightened despots undertake reforms? Identify 2-3 specific examples?
5. In what ways were the enlightened despots less than true reformers? Cite 2-3 specific examples from text.
HW # 5 The American Revolution
Due on 9-27-2017
Read pp. 640-645.
Answer questions # 4, 5, and 7 on p. 645.
LESSON/ SUB PLAN 9-28-2017
HW # 5 Europe and Japan in Ruins
1. Outline the reading- use a format of outlining that you are familiar with. If you are not, outline the reading like power points seen in our class.
2. How did war time allies become enemies? Explain.
HW # 6 Read and Answer DBQs.
1) Read the 4 DBQs and answer the questions that follow.
2) Analyze the questions. What are the questions asking about with regards to the topic WAR?
3) Create a chart based on your answer to #2 and list/ bullet info relevant - this may be document info AND outside info.
HW# 7 Cold War
Read pp. 967-969.
1. Why did the Soviets build a buffer?
2. What is meant by the "iron curtain?"
3. Define containment.
4. How did the Truman Plan attempt to contain communism?
5. How did the Marshall Plan attempt to contain communism?
6. Using the chart on page 968, Countries Aided by the Marshall Plan, 1948- I951, answer the following question
a. Which country received the most aid from the United States?
2-13-2017 IN CLASS DBQ ESSAY
We went over HW#6 to prepare for this in class essay during class time 2-9-2018.
If you were not in class, make sure that you get in touch with someone from one of the classes.
HW # 8 Rivalry
Due Date: 2-14-2018
Read pp. 969-971.
1. How did the Cold War divide the world? EXPLAIN answer.
2. What methods did the superpowers use against each other?
3. How did the U.S. policy of brinkmanship contribute to the arms race?
4. How did the U.S. respond to the Soviet launch of Sputnik?
5. How did the U-2 incident increase Soviet distrust of the U.S.?
HW# 9 Imperial China Collapses
Due date: 2-26-2018
Read pp. 882-886.
1. Why did Imperial rule collapse in China? Very BIG question = Long answer!
2. What problems did the new Republic of China face?
3. How did Mao Zedong"s vision of a Marxist revolution differ from Lenin's view? Explain.
4. How did the Communist Party evolve in China?
5. Why did a civil war begin in China?
MC TEST 40?
The test is on WW2- Cold War.....Notebook from required notes till 2-15-2018..... all HW till #8.
HW# 10 Communists Take Power in China
Due Date: 3-1-2018
1. How did World War II affect the civil war in China?
2. How did the Chinese Communists increase their power during WWII?
3. What advantages did the Nationalists have in the Civil War?
4. Why did the Communists win the Civil War?
5. How did the two Chinas affect the Cold War? include FEDs in your answer.
6. How did Mao transform China into a communist state? You must address - Land, Economy, & Agriculture.
7. What was the goal of the Cultural Revolution? Why did it fail?
HW # 11 China: Reform and Reaction
Read pp. 1059-1063.
1. Describe Mao's legacy.
2. Why was China almost isolated in the 1960s?
3. How did China "open its doors" to the west in the 1970s?
4. What were the Four Modernizations of Deng Xiaoping's economic reform?
5. How did Deng's economic reforms change China's economy and its people?
6. What were some unexpected problems from Deng's economic reforms?
7. What were some of the events that followed the demonstrations in Tiananmen Square?
8. What issues has China faced in the "new millennium?" Explain 2 issues. This answer should be min. 3-5 sentences.
HW # 12 War in Korea
Due Date 3-7-2018
Read pp. 976-978 top of page.
1. How did World War 2 impact Korea?
2. Why did Truman think his containment policy was being tested?
3. What role did the United Nations play in the Korean War?
4. How did the Korean War end?
5. What effects did the Korean War have on the Korean people and the Korean nation?
HW #13 North Korea Since the War
Due Date: 3-8-2018
Read the article, Kim Il Sung Dead at Age 82;
1. After reading the article, and annotate. Take notes on important information.
e.g examples: Great Leader; Dear Leader; how did he come to power? Why was the North Korea stronger than South Korea till the 1960s? What is the DMZ? -these are terms and big ? you should have notes on.
Read the article, To Sell a New Leader...
HW # 14 War in Vietnam
Due Date 3-12-2018
Read pp. 978-981.
1. Why did war break out between the Vietnamese Nationalists and the French?
2. What was the outcome of the war for France AND for Vietnam?
3. What actions might the United States have justified by the domino theory?
4. What decisions were made over the future of Indochina at the international peace conference in Geneva?
5. How did the United States get involved in Vietnam?
6. Why did the United States withdraw its troops from Vietnam?
7. What changes were made in Vietnam after the war?
8. What is Vietnam like today? Read Connect to Today!
HW #15 Cuban Revolution
Due Date: 3-13-2018
Read pp. 982-985
1. What advantages and disadvantages might being nonaligned have offered a developing nation during the Cold War?
2. Why was Cuba ripe for revolution?
3. How was Castro's rule similar to other rulers we have studied? Explain and provide concrete examples.
4. What was the Bay of Pigs invasion? Why did the US support it?
5. What was the Cuban Missile Crisis? How was it resolved?
6. Why was there a civil war in Nicaragua?
7. Why did the U.S. switch its support from the Sandinistas to the Contras?
HW #16 The Cold War Thaws
Due Date: 3-15-2018
Read pp. 988-991.
1) On p. 991. Answer questions # 3, # 4, and #5.
2) Create a time line of events.
3) In what ways did Nixon's and Reagan's policies toward the Soviet Union differ?
HW For Friday March 16th 2018
Bring in your regents review book.
If you do not have the book in class, you will be marked zero for classwork grade.
Cold War -Cold War Around the World
1. 40 MC?
2. Study HW# 7-16...and part of HW#5 as it relates to the Cold War.
3. Make sure that you study resources given in class and class notes.
4. Most important, study regents questions and check for understanding.
Power Point from 3-14-2018
Power point from 3-19-2018
HW# 17 Indian Subcontinent Achieves Freedom
Due Date: 3-22-2018
Read pp. 997-999. till Modern India
1) Why was the policy of colonialism question post-WW2?
2) Why did Indian resistance intensify in 1939?
3) Why did the Indian population struggle with each other?
4) How might Jinnah's views about Hindu and Muslim differences impede progress towards independence?
5) Why did the British hand over power to the colonists?
6) Why did British officials partition India into India and Pakistan?
7) Why did Gandhi mourn as independence was achieved?
HW# 18 Post-Independence
Due Date 3-23-2018
Read pp. 999-1003 from Modern India
1. What was the cause of the conflict between India and Pakistan over Kashmir?
2. Why has the conflict between India and Pakistan over Kashmir become such a concern to the world today?
3. In what ways did Nehru use his leadership to move India forward?
4. What challenge did Indira Gandhi face as prime minister?
5. Identify 21st Century challenges faced by India.
6. Why was Pakistan partitioned? EXPLAIN.
7) Why does Pakistan have a history of political instability?
8) Describe the problems that Bangladesh has faced following independence.
9) What was the main cause of civil strife in Sri Lanka?
HW# 19 New Nations in Africa
Due Date: 3-28-2018
1. Students who sit in rows # 1, 3 , and 5 will watch the video on Kwame Nkrumah and answer questions # 1-6.
2. Students who sit in rows #2, 4, and 6 will watch and answer questions #1-5 on Jomo Kenyatta.
3. The videos are below and the question files are below each video.
NOTE: There is not enough space to answer the questions on the download file- It will be done like any other HW on loose leaf.
HW # 20 New Nations in Africa
Due Date: 3-29-2018
Read pp. 1012-1016.
1. Why was World War II the spark for independence?
2. Why did new African nations find the road to being a strong and stable nation difficult?
3. How did Algeria gain its independence? What problems did it face post-independence?
4. Why was the Congo vulnerable to turmoil after independence?
5. How did Mobutu Sese Seko rule (Congo) Zaire?
How was Kabila's rule similar to that of other leaders in newly independent nations?
6. What prompted Portugal to eventually grant Angola its freedom?
7. Why do you think the United States and the Soviet Union participated in Angola's civil war?
HW# 21 South Africa
Due Date: 4-10-2018
Read pp. 1040-1045.
1. How did European policies cause problems for Africans?
2. What do you think is the main problem that Nigeria must overcome before it can establish a democratic government?
3. Describe the historical circumstances that led to apartheid in South Africa.
4. Identify and Summarize the following:
a. African National Congress
b. Nelson Mandela
c. Desmond Tutu
d. F.W. deKlerk
5. What are some of the most important issues facing South Africa today?
HW# 22 Latin American Democracies
Due Date: 4-13-2018
Read pp. 1033-1039.
1. Compare and contrast the roles of the military in the governments of Brazil, Mexico and Argentina..
2. What have been some of the obstacles to democracy in Latin America?
3. Which country do you think has made the most progress toward democracy? Explain your answer.
4. Why might the wealthy have preferred military rule to land reform?
5. Why does over reliance on one product weaken an economy?
6. What were some of the benefits of one-party rule in Mexico?
7. What finally caused military rule to end in Argentina?
MC TEST on 4-17-2018
Decolonization and Struggle for Democracy
HW# 17 - 22
HW# 23 Nationalism in Southwest Asia= Turkey
Due Date: 4-18-2018
Read pp. 890-891.
1. How did Southwest Asia change as a result of nationalism?
2. How did newly found petroleum supplies change the new nations in Southwest Asia?
3. Explain what events led to the founding of the new nation Turkey?
4. How did Kemal Ataturk transform Turkey into a modern nation state?
5. In what major way did reforms in Iran and Saudi Arabia differ from those in Turkey?
HW# 24 Iran - "Confrontations in the Middle East"
Due Date: 4-19-2018
Read pp. 986 to 987 - Please Google if not in textbook!
1. Identify/Define Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, Ayatollah Ruholla Khomeini, secular; theocracy (glossary)
2. Why did the U.S. reinstall Pahlavi alter he was forced to flee from Iran?
1. What are the ways in which the Pahlavi westernized his country?
2. Why did the Iran conservative Muslim leaders oppose Pahlavis westernized moves?
3. How did Iran turn into an Islamic state?
4. How did a group of young Islamic revolutionaries support Khomeinis Anti-US Policies?
5. Why did war break out between Iraq and Iran in 1980?
6. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. Google his name and photo. Cut and paste some background information about Ahmadinejad into your notebook. Cut and paste a photo as well.
HW# 25 Conflicts in the Middle East
Due Date: 4-23-2018
Read pp. 1017-1023. You may have to google.
Identify Terms & Names: Zionism; Balfour Declaration; PLO; Camp Davids Accords; intifada; Oslo Peace Accords; Road Map
1.How can Jews, Palestinians, and Arabs all have claims to land in Palestine?
2.Why might the U.N. have been selected to establish the state of Israel?
3.Create a timeline of the Arab-Israel States in Conflict. - major events that occurred from 1948 to 1977.
4. Read analyzing primary sources on page 1020 and answer the 2 questions in the box.
5.Describe and evaluate the success of the efforts made at peace in the Middle East. - include Camp David; Oslo Peace Accords and Road Map.
HW # 26 Persian Gulf War- Iraq
Due Date: 4-26-2018
Read pp. 1079; 1083 "Disarming Iraq;
You may have to Google this information
1. Identify/Define: OPEC; embargo
2. How is the world affected by nations that have a lack of oil? How is the world affected by nations that have an oil abundance?
3. How did the oil embargo in 1970 affect developed/westernized countries?
4. Why did the United Nations move to wage war (Persian Gulf War/Gulf War) on Iraq in 1990?
5. What were the results of the Persian Gulf War?
Extra Credit Homework Assignment
Due 4-30-2018 No Exceptions
1. Read the above article. PDF file below this box.
A) What information can you connect to what we have learned this term?
B) What agreements were made between North and South Korea? (goal 3 agreements you understand)
2. Find another article from a reliable news source that discusses any pros and cons/ achievements or shortcomings to the agreements.
A) Print it or email the article to your self. Record source information, title, and author.
B) Annotate the article.
HW# 27 War On Terror
Due Date: 5-1-2018
Read pp. 1024-1027.
Read pp. 1090-1092
1. Who are the mujahideen?
2. Why do you think the U.S. provided financial and military assistance?
3. Why might Afghanis have been willing to accept Taliban rule by 1998?
4. Describe Taliban rule.
1. How has terrorism changed in recent years?
2. What steps did the United States take in response to the terrorist attacks of September 11,2001?
3. What do you think has been the greatest impact of terrorism on American life?
4. What did/ does the USA Patriot Act allow the government to do?
4. Research and identify information on:
b. Osama bin Laden
Test on May 3rd , 2018
30-40 MC? on the Middle East
HW# 23 -#27
HW# 28 The Collapse of the Soviet Union
Read pp. 1046-1051.
1. Why do you suppose the Politburo chose Gorbachev?
2. What was the problem with the Soviet economy?
3. Why did Gorbachev encourage glasnost?
4. In what ways did glasnost change the Soviet Union?
5. How did central planning contribute to economic problems?
6. How did Gorbachev's idea of perestroika attempt to revive the Soviet economy?
7. How did democratization open the political system?
8. How did Gorbachev's policies lead to turmoil?
9. How did the August Coup trigger the collapse of the Soviet Union?
HW# 29 Changes in Central and Eastern Europe
Read pp. 1052-1056.
1. How did Mikhail Gorbachev's policies impact Eastern Europe?
2. How did Solidarity affect communist rule in Poland?
3. How did the fall of communism in Hungary contribute to turmoil in East Germany?
4. Why did the Berlin wall fall? Why did Europeans fear a united Germany?
5. Create a cause- effect diagram to how democratic reform spread through Central and Eastern Europe?
HW#30 The Breakup of Yugoslavia
Read pp. 1056-1058
1. Why did ethnic conflict plague Yugoslavia?
2. Identify: Josip Tito; Slobaodan Milosevic; ethnic cleansing.
3. Why did war break out in March 1992?
4. Why did the Balkan region descend into violence and bloodshed again in 1998?
5. What obstacles prevented democracy in the nations of Central and Eastern Europe?
6. Print/ Draw a modern day map of the Balkan region.
Read an online account of Rwanda Genocide and answer the following.
1. What is genocide?
2. Describe the events leading up to the Rwanda genocide.- How did colonialism contribute to this?
3. Why were the UN unable to help the victims?
HW# 32 Cambodia
Read "Cambodia in Turmoil" on p. 981.
1) What was the Kmher Rouge's plan for Camobodia? EXPLAIN
2. Read the power point- set up the lesson on your homework - aim/ do now/ copying the video questions- the sub will collect the Homework and Video Notes which will count for a classwork grade.
HW#33 Ethnic and Religious Conflicts -6 questions
Read pp. 1083-1086.
1. Identify ethnic and religious conflicts you read about.
2. What responsibilities do nations have for protecting human rights in other countries?
Answer questions # 4, # 5, # 7, and #8.
HW/ Class Work Completed from May 11th due in class on 5-17-2018
1. Thematic essay completed on Collapse of Government.
2. Evidence of the brainstorm for both examples chosen.
3. Time recorded of how long the essay took.
Located on Reading 21 Birth of Modern Turkey
Theme: Change –Collapse of the Government
The sudden death of a ruler, a defeat in war, or a successful revolution has often led to the collapse of a government. Political, social, or economic changes have occurred as a result of the collapse of a government.
Task: Select 2 situations where the collapse of a government has led to significant changes in a country or region and for each:
•Describe the historical circumstances that led to the collapse.
•Discuss the political, social, and/ or economic changes that occurred as a result of the collapse.
HW/ Class Work
1) Complete/ Add/ Edit DBQ Outline Genocide by
2) google and visit NYSED global regents. http://www.nysedregents.org/globalhistorygeography/
3) Review some of the answer key - Rating Guide Part III A and Part III B to complete your outline....maybe read a good essay.?
Maybe look at August 2015 DBQ if you have time, no worries...I hope to look at in class next week.
HW #34 Conflict in Northern Ireland
Self Rule for British Colonies
On page 754 Read Analyzing Primary Sources and Ans. the questions 1,2,3 in the box.
1. What was the Catholic Emancipation Act?
2. Describe Home Rule, why were the British against this? Why were Protestants against this?
3. Describe the Easter Rising of 1916 - why was the IRA formed?
4. How did Britain deal with the Irish issue?
5. Describe the "Troubles" of the 1960's to 1990's. Look up this website
HW#35 Review Book
Due Date: 5-22-2018
Bring it to class everyday from this day till June 4th.
HW# 36 Thematic Essay Peer Rating
1) By Friday May 18,2018 - exchange your essay with a peer of your choice.
2) Read the essay....Go to NYSED (January 2013) and ready parts of the answer key....read the essay.
3) Rate the essay 1-5: you may give a grad of .5 (ie-2.5)
4) Do not write on the essay- on a piece of loose leaf with your name...explain the "rate" 1-5 that you gave the essay. Write 2 suggestions that could make the essay stronger.
HW# 37 Green Revolution Packet
1) Read the documents. Answer the DBQs.
2) DBQs - end with a ?mark....ignore other written part(s) DOCUMENT 1.
3) attempt the outline graph and MC?
HW# 38 HW/ Class Work - 5 thematic outlines
1) As discussed in class- the purpose is to review for the final exam and prepare for the Regents.
2) Complete/ Add/ Edit 5 Thematic Essay Outlines.
2) google and visit NYSED global regents. http://www.nysedregents.org/globalhistorygeography/
3) Review some of the answer key - Rating Guide Part II to complete your outline....maybe read a good essay.?
Essay #1 was started 5-18-2018 class time
Essays #2-4 started 5-22 class time
End Topic Unit Power Point Review
Regents Review - 1750 - to the Present
Final Exam May 29th 2018
45 MC questions - Feb-May 2018.
Use check for understandings/ old tests/ and regents based questions to study/ review book.
Global History and Geography Regents June 5th, 2018
8 AM Exam - please look for specific instructions in the weekly bulletin and exam invitation.
HW#39 AND Classwork Grade Textbook and Review Book Returns June 6th, 2018
leave it in your locker ahead of time
June 6th- last day for work -absent/ late/ makeup for the 3rd marking period.